What To Do:
1. Bacon may arrive slightly frozen. Thaw as needed.
2. Fill a medium pot half way with salted water and bring to a boil.
3. Cook Pasta: Stir penne into the boiling water and cook until al dente (about 6 minutes). Reserve ¾ cup pasta water. Drain pasta. Set aside.
4. Cook Bacon: While pasta is cooking, chop bacon. In a high sided sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate leaving renderings in the pan.
5. Cook Onions: Reduce heat to low, stir onions into the bacon renderings along with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until soft (about 4 minutes). Uncover, increase heat to medium and stir in brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned.