What To Do:
1. Prep Jalapeno: Mince jalapeno and chop half of the cilantro (the rest you will use for garnish).
2. Sauté Aromatics: In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon oil, jalapeno, garlic and cumin. Cook stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Mash Beans: In a medium mixing bowl, add beans ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Smash with a fork until until just broken up. Do not “over smash”. Fold in jalapeno mixture and the chopped cilantro. (Note: if you like a firmer burger, add one egg and ¼ cup breadcrumbs at this point.)
4. Form Patties: Form mixture into 4 patties the size of your buns.
5. Cook Patties: In the same sauté pan over medium heat add 1 teaspoon oil. Add the burgers and cook until browned on the bottom. Turn and brown the other side. Remove burgers to a plate.